Ir Amim will hold its annual Alternative Jerusalem Day Event on Monday, May 26 at 7:00 PM at the Lev Smadar Theater in Jerusalem. The event will be moderated by Mazal Mualem, a columnist from Al-Monitor.
This year’s event comes in the wake of the freeze on negotiations and will explore the question of what role Jerusalem—as a final status issue in resolution of the conflict—played in diverting progress. Are past proposals for a resolution on the city still relevant or must new models be developed? What does everyday life in Jerusalem really look like and how can we preserve the conditions necessary for a just political resolution on the city?
Scheduled topics and speakers:
1. Did the Issue of Jerusalem Inhibit an Agreement?
• Yehudit Oppenheimer – Executive Director, Ir Amim
• Ashraf al-Ajrami – Former Minister of Prisoner Affairs, Palestinian Authority
2. Planning a Vision for the City
• Prof. Omar Yousef – Head of Alternative Planning Department, the International Peace and Cooperation Center
• Dan Rotem – the S. Daniel Abraham Center for Peace in the Middle East
3. Jerusalem Voices on the Future of the City
• Hava Schwartz – Tour Guide, Ir Amim
• Ziad Abu Ziad – Founder of “Watan” at the Hebrew University and the Middle Eastern Post